Inspired by success stories from European cities that have implemented Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs), the new SUMP poster illustrates the sustainable planning process for transport in an urban area.
While the SUMP Guidelines give step-by-step guidance on how to develop and implement a SUMP, lessons can also be learnt from the many European cities that have implemented a SUMP to demonstrate what the outcome for an urban area could look like.
Even when the ideal sustainable city may not exist, the new SUMP poster (based on the revised guidelines) includes many crucial aspects of a sustainable mobility system. The new poster demonstrates all eight of the fundamental SUMP principles, i.e.:
- Plan for sustainable mobility in the entire ‘functional urban area’;
- Cooperate across institutional boundaries;
- Involve citizens and stakeholders;
- Assess current and future performance;
- Define a long-tern vision and a clear implementation plan;
- Develop all transport modes in an integrated manner;
- Arrange for monitoring and evaluation;
- Assure quality.
- Publication date
- 28 February 2020
- Urban mobility planning